Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Transgenders in the bathroom scare me

But do you know why?

(Before you start ranting about me being irrational and start spewing facts about the number of assaults in public washrooms committed by transgendered people - please read on first...)

Not because I think a transgendered woman is going to attack me or my daughters in a public restroom.

Not because I think a transgendered woman is going to take a peek at my 'naughty bits' in a public washroom. 

But because suddenly, our oh-so-tolerant society (yes, that eye-roll you feel coming on -- let 'er rip) that I live in, has suddenly become (not so suddenly) oh, so intolerant.

North Carolina is passing legislation that will force - FORCE - transgendered people to use the bathroom that matches the gender they were assigned at birth, not the gender with which they identify.

So, basically, a man, who was born a woman, would have to share the bathroom with my daughters.  Now, do I think that man is going to assault my daughters?  No. 

My fear isn't for my daughters at the hands of transgendered anybodys.  My fear is for the transgendered people who get hassled every single day of their lives.  Who have lived a life of fear far deeper than the fear that is instilled in girls throughout their lives.  My fear is for the transgendered man in the women's washroom because North Carolina says he has to use that washroom due to what his birth certificate says.

And who's checking this, anyway?  Is  North Carolina going to hire a bunch of gender identifiers?  Are they going to start requiring transgendered people to register with the government and wear some sort of identifying mark?

You know who did that once?  Look how that turned out.

No.  I'm not afraid of a woman sharing a bathroom with me who may or may not have been born a woman.  Seriously - I just need to pee.  And likely, so does she.  I'm not afraid OF the man standing awkwardly outside a bathroom in North Carolina, trying to decide if he's brave enough to go into the men's washroom and risk 'getting caught', or if he should go into the women's washroom because that's where in North Carolina,  his birth certificate says he is supposed to go. And what happens when he walks in there and some woman comes out and complains?  Do you think someone will say "oh, well, he's transgendered, so it's all cool.  Just relax" or "hey dude, you're not supposed to be in the women's washroom!"

No.  I don't foresee any problems arising from this!  (yep - eye roll again). 

This is just another - I don't know - attempt - to force one person's (or in this case, group of people's) biased views on another group regardless of the repercussions.

I have to say, I don't think this was well thought out.  Because really, what place does the government have in the pants of its citizens?

And if there are ever any transgendered women who are afraid to use the women's washroom for fear someone might say something.... I'll go with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment