Friday, May 17, 2013

Individually wrapped peppers? Really?













So, today I went to do my grocery shopping at Walmart.  I was astonished to find that the bell peppers were individually wrapped.  In a day and age when sustainability and the environment is of greatest concern, it is shocking that a company like Walmart, which says right on its corporate website that it seeks to create zero waste would sell a product that actually creates unnecessary waste.

In trying to teach Banana and Squish about environmental responsibility, I skipped the peppers and moved on to find other vegetables that are  not individually wrapped. 

I called the store to speak to the produce manager and asked why they are selling peppers individually wrapped.  Her response was "for less handling of the product.  The company who sells them to us sells them individually wrapped."  I asked how we could change that.  She agreed that individually wrapped peppers create extra, unnecessary waste and suggested I contact head office and suggest they move to a supplier who doesn't use individual wrapping.  I wrote an e-mail to the corporate head office asking how they could sell a product like this when they say they strive for environmental sustainability.

It sure does make a case for getting up early tomorrow and shopping at the farmer's market rather than going to the supermarkets or big box stores.  At least, I know those vegetables are grown locally at family farms.

Please help me by putting pressure on Walmart to stop selling individually wrapped peppers.   Email Walmart's Canadian Corporate Head Office at the email below and tell them you don't want your peppers individually wrapped.  Let's make a change for our environment!

cacustrel@wal-mart.com

1 comment:

  1. So glad to find your post....I thought I was the only one sadly surprised to see individually wrapped peppers at Walmart. Ridiculous! I have sent an email to Walmart as well.

    ReplyDelete