Monday, November 3, 2014

Why I won't change my Facebook profile picture to Sarah Watkin

In the early hours of Sunday morning, Sarah Watkin, 7 years old, lost her battle with cancer. Her story was chronicled in the local and national papers. Her family set up a Facebook page to help push their agenda of getting people to register with OneMatch.ca. It's really easy. It's four swabs of the insides of your cheeks. They tried to find a match for their daughter, but were unsuccessful. They have, at least, saved four more lives that they know of.

I am heartbroken for their loss. No parent should outlive their child. But the Watkins gave their daughter a lifetime of living in the past few months of this summer.  Sarah got to do things most kids don't even think about. And she got to do things kids dream of. 

But I won't change my profile picture to Sarah's beautiful face. I didn't know Sarah and I don't know her family. I can empathize with them. I can't imagine the pain they are going through having lost their oldest child and first daughter. 

I feel that it's not right for me, someone who has never met the family, to put their daughter's photo as my profile picture. I mourn for them, for their loss, but since the Watkins aren't even a passing acquaintance, I can't justify putting their beautiful daughter's picture as my profile picture.  I will carry her picture in my heart, and I will smile at the pictures my friends have changed their profile pictures to, of Sarah's smiling face  wearing a grey toque with sparkles. But I won't  make the change. Sarah was far too special.  Her memory is far too special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment